Florida Condo Owner Homeowners Insurance Claims – The Condo Above Me (Second Floor Unit Upstairs) Leaked, What Are My Options?

As South Florida Condominium owners know, many things can go wrong to cause water damage (and resultant mold) to their condominium unit.  One of the most common water intrusion events that can occur is when a neighbor’s condominium unit above yours  has a water loss or water leak, which then gets into your unit through the common elements.   Whether you live in Hollywood, Dania, Weston, Plantation, Aventura, Miami Beach, Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, Kendall, Pinecrest or another area within Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach, many unit owners are seasonal (ie., snow birds) and are thus not around to maintain their units on a monthly basis.  As such, it is not uncommon, especially during the Summer, for a neighbor’s condominium unit above yours, the unit on the second floor, the unit next to yours (unit to unit), or the unit upstairs, to experience pipe leaks, burst pipes and plumbing, broken water heaters, shower pan leaks, a pipe burst in the washer, failed pipe in the dishwasher, failed toilet seals, toilet tank leaks, window leaks and/or other types of water intrusions and condo water leaks.  Reason being, no one is living in the unit for months on end to fix any problems that may arise.  When these types of losses occur, one may seek out a Florida condominium water damage insurance claim attorney or Florida condo leak lawyer to get some guidance on how to proceed in resolving Florida condo insurance claims of this type.

The first thing the lawyer will likely do is have you put your own homeowners insurance carrier on notice.  While there are certain exclusions in the policy, your insurance company may cover some or all of the damage such as providing payments for temporary/alternative living arrangements (ALE/loss of use), as well as temporary repairs like mold remediation (one has a duty to mitigate their damages).

As for the lawyer’s investigation,  the source of the water intrusion needs to be determined. Reason being, while the unit owner above may bear some responsibility, the Condominium Association may also bear some responsibility.  Thus, the attorney will probably direct his or her investigation as to whether the upstairs water loss originated from a common element or an item that is the responsibility of the unit owner.  A Declaration of Condominium typically classifies a common element (in relation to items which are a unit owners responsibility) as as anything not touching air, ie., everything behind the walls and ceilings minus the coverings.  As for the Florida Statutes,  718.108(1) states that common elements include: (a) The condominium property which is not included within the units; (b) Easements through units for conduits, ducts, plumbing, wiring, and other facilities for the furnishing of utility services to units and the common elements; (c) An easement of support in every portion of a unit which contributes to the support of a building; and (d) The property and installations required for the furnishing of utilities and other services to more than one unit or to the common elements.  Items which are not common elements and which would be the responsibility of the second floor unit owner, would include pipes underneath the kitchen or bathroom sinks,  a toilet seal that fails or a water heater that explodes.

Certainly, if it is determined that the unit owner above had been out of the condo unit for months on end and a water leak resulted due to to their failure to maintain the inside of their property, the unit owner above will likely have some responsibility.  In this scenario, hopefully they had homeowners insurance, such that a claim can be made to their insurance company.  Even in this scenario, the condominium association still may bear some responsibility for the damage to your unit.  Where water losses are caused by sudden and unforeseeable events (the condominium association will likely argue this type of event was sudden and unforeseeable), these types of losses are considered casualties.  When a casualty occurs, a condominium association’s insurance could come into play.  Pursuant to the Declaration of Condominium, the Association will have a responsibility to maintain, repair and replace common elements.  Pursuant to Florida Statute 718.113(1), maintenance of the common elements is the responsibility of the association.  As such, if you sustained damage to your drywall or ceilings due to a water leak from the upstairs condominium unit above yours (or your neighbor’s, ie.,unit to unit), the association may be responsible for repairing these, minus the “wall coverings” such as paint or wall paper, which would still be the unit owner’s responsibility.

Another area the Association may bear some responsibility, is whether they inspected the wall crevices to see if any mold is growing due to the water loss.  Since the insides of the walls or ceilings would be considered common elements, if the association failed to make sure that these areas are mold free, and mold growth was exacerbated inside your unit as a result, the association may bear some responsibility.

As you can see, this simple situation can actually turn into a complex legal issue, where the unit owner above and the condominium association may disclaim any liability.   This is the reason it is so important for a South Florida condominium owner to have homeowners insurance to cover losses that may arise.  A homeowners insurance claim can always be made against your own insurance, with the assistance of a homeowners insurance property damage lawyer.

For additional analysis on condo issues and Florida condo insurance claims, see my previous post.

Florida Homeowners Insurance Claims – HO-2 v. HO-3 v. HO-4 v. HO-6 v. HO-8, Insurance Policies Oh My

When living in South Florida, it is more important than ever for a homeowner or renter/tenant to secure insurance for the many different hazards that may affect one’s property.  After all, we are especially susceptible to tropical storms and Hurricanes in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach areas.  Yet, even though we have not experienced a Hurricane in quite some time, having homeowners or renters  insurance can provide peace of mind given the many other perils which may occur and that can destroy one’s property, including fires, electrical surges, floods, sinkholes, tornadoes, lightning strikes, vandalism, theft, and/or sudden water losses from a burst pipe, faulty/broken plumbing or a failed seal in a water heater.

Whether your a single family homeowner that may have an HO-2, HO-3 (also know as an “All Risks” policy) or HO-8 policy, a condo owner that has an HO-6 policy, or a tenant/renter that has a an HO-4 policy, if you sustain a property loss (structure and/or personal property) and require a Miami, Florida, Hurricane or property damage insurance claim lawyer, there are legal issues an insurance company may raise depending on the type of policy you have,  and that you scratch your head and say, what is that.  Some of these issues may include the following:

    1. Actual Cash Value:  if a policy provides for actual cash value as opposed to replacement cost, this would be the amount of money it would  cost to purchase a similar item in like condition and quality in today’s market place, ie, the market value of the property that takes into consideration depreciation.  An example of depreciation is say carpet or other types of flooring that has a useful life of say 10 years but at the time of loss was 5 years old, the market value of the carpet would be less than the replacement cost, as the market value would take into consideration this wear and tear over the years and reduce the value of the property.
    2. Replacement Cost: if a policy provides for the replacement cost of damaged property, this would be the amount of money it would take to purchase the same type of property of like kind and quality in today’s market place.
    3. Alternative Living Expenses: also known as ALE, alternative living expenses may include the reasonable expenses incurred to relocate for the time it takes to repair an uninhabitable property, such as staying in a hotel for days or weeks,  excess food expenses above what one normally would spend, transportation expenses in case you need to travel greater distances than normal, and storage expenses, just to name a few.  It is important to save your receipts in order to prove that these expenses were actually incurred.
    4. Loss of Use: an interchangeable term with alternative living expenses (ALE) on a Miami, Florida, homeowners insurance policy, loss of use damages are paid when a homeowner incurs excess expenses during the time it takes to repair an uninhabitable property.
    5. Deductible: the amount of money the policy holder must pay out of pocket before the insurance company will start paying from your insurance coverage.  For instance, a Miami, Florida, homeowner may have a $5,000 deductible on a windstorm policy, and when a Hurricane damage insurance claim is made, if the property damage claim is adjusted at $15,000, the insurance company will pay you a net of $10,000, ie., minus the $5,000 deductible.
    6. Exclusion: within a homeowner’s policy, there will be certain provisions called exclusions that an insurance company may cite to in order to deny a claim.  Common exclusions cited in a homeowner’s insurance policy could include mold (given that is it something that grows over time), flood (you would need to purchase a separate flood policy), landslides/sinkholes (ie, earth movement), neglect/wear and tear (policies cover water damage caused by sudden and unexpected losses, such as a burst pipe or a water heater that explodes), a sewer backup, loss caused by intentional destruction, and ordinance/law (such as construction to bring a house up to code), just to name a few.  However, insurance companies typically offer a homeowner the opportunity to purchase coverage that normally would be excluded.

As you can see, whether you are a homeowner/tenant in Coral Springs, Cooper City, Hallandale, Boca Raton, Homestead, Key Biscayne, Weston, Pompano Beach, Tamarac, Wilton Manners, Hialeah or another area within Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach, there is a lot to think about when it comes to your insurance policy and potential property damage disputes and claims that may occur.