Florida Property Damage Insurance Claims – How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit or Provide Notice of a Claim?

So you are a South Florida homeowner living in Coral Springs, Cooper City, Hallandale, Boca Raton, Homestead, Key Biscayne, Pompano Beach, Tamarac, Wilton Manors, Hialeah or another area within Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach, and one day you come home to a flooded condominium or house. Your furniture is soaked, your walls have started growing toxic mold, and the home has become uninhabitable due to the significant water damage.  Thinking that you may have to file a property damage insurance claim with your homeowners insurance company, you contact a Miami, Florida Water Damage lawyer to get some information on how to file a claim.   The South Florida lawyer asks you if this was a sudden water loss from a burst pipe or water heater, was the water and property damage due to the recent Hurricane and windstorm that just occurred, or was the water damage due to normal wear and tear.  You tell the attorney that your not sure, it may have been from a roof leak.

The next question this Miami, Florida property damage insurance claim attorney asks you is how long ago did this water damage loss occur.  The reason the lawyer would ask you that is because of the changes in the law (specifically, the statue of limitations to bring a property insurance lawsuit for losses occurring on or after May 17, 2011, is now five years from the date of loss) with the governor’s signing of Senate Bill 408 (2011).  Some of the notable changes that went into effect with this bill include the following:

  • Florida Statute §95.11(2)(e): if you sustain a property loss on or after May 17, 2011, the Statute of Limitations for filing lawsuits on all property insurance claims (for breach of insurance contracts) is five (5) years from the date of the property loss.  Before this law was changed, a Florida homeowner could bring a lawsuit within five years from the date the insurance company breached the insurance contract (ie., a wrongful denial of a claim via a denial letter or an improper/lowball estimate).
  • Florida Statute §626.854(11)(a): compensation to a public adjuster for a reopened or supplemental claim may not exceed twenty (20) percent of the reopened or supplemental claim payment.
  • Florida Statute §626.854(15):  a public adjuster must ensure prompt notice of property loss claims submitted to an insurer, the public adjuster’s contract is to be provided to the insurer, the property is to be available for inspection of the loss or damage by the insurance company, and the insurance company is to be given an opportunity to interview the insured directly about the loss and claim. The insurer also must be allowed to obtain necessary information to investigate and respond to the claim.
  • Florida Statute §627.70132: a claim, supplemental claim, or reopened claim under an insurance policy that provides property insurance for loss or damage caused by the peril of a windstorm or hurricane is barred unless notice of the claim, supplemental claim, or reopened claim (ie, reporting the claim to the insurance company) was given to the insurer within three (3) years after the hurricane first made landfall or the windstorm caused the covered damage. The term “supplemental claim” or “reopened claim” means any additional claim for recovery from the insurer for losses from the same hurricane or windstorm which the insurer has previously adjusted pursuant to the initial claim.  Prior to this law change effective June 1, 2011, an insured had five years to report a claim.
  • Florida Statute §627.351(6): for any claim filed under a Citizens Property Insurance Policy as of May 17, 2011, a public adjuster may not charge, agree to, or accept any compensation or fee greater than ten (10) percent of the additional amount actually paid over the amount that was originally offered by the corporation for any one claim.  This appears to limit the ability of a public adjuster to get involved on a Citizens property loss claim until after the homeowner has made a claim and been offered property insurance loss proceeds.  This does not limit the ability of a Miami, Florida Hurricane and Windstorm damage insurance claim lawyer from getting involved from the beginning, however.
  • Florida Statute §627.7011(3)(a): as to losses for which a dwelling (house structure) is insured on the basis of replacement costs, the insurance company must initially pay at least the actual cash value of the insured loss, minus any applicable deductible. However,the insurer shall pay any remaining amounts necessary to perform such repairs as work is performed and expenses are incurred. If a total loss of a dwelling occurs, the insurance company is to pay the replacement cost coverage without reservation or holdback of any depreciation in value  pursuant to section 627.702.   As such, if work is contracted for but not done, and therefore, expenses are not incurred, the insurance company will not issue a check to their insured.
  • Florida Statute §627.706(5): any claim brought on or after May 17, 2011, including, but not limited to, initial, supplemental, and reopened claims under an insurance policy that provides sinkhole coverage, is barred unless notice of the claim was given to the insurance company within two (2) years after the policyholder knew or reasonably should have known about the sinkhole loss.

As you can see, these changes in the law (most of them taking place on May 17, 2011), will affect the ability of policy holders to bring Florida property damage insurance suits and claims, and public adjusters will be significantly affected, especially for claims on a Citizens Insurance policy.

Speak Your Mind